Friday 15 April 2016

Top 8 UK Regionals 2016 :]

Top 8 Sutton Regionals 'Rundown'



Quick disclaimer before I get started, I'm calling this a run down instead of a report which means it won't have Ev's or anything, but instead the cool story behind it. The reason for this is the community is a bit of an arse hole these days, not reading for entertainment or trying to improve but instead just using it as a scouting guide which upsets me greatly. If you do want Ev's and all the details, feel free to message me on Twitter or NB and I'll gladly share. Just putting my best hope at getting worlds in public is sadly a bad idea nowadays.


ANYWAYS, lets start by me sharing my love/hate relationship with the format that is known as VGC16. First of all: it kinds sucks.....But...I think there is massive potential hidden away beneath the suicide Tailwind and Smeargle moody boost nonsense. A well fought weather war is always splendid and well thought out at a high level. It also sucks.

Start of the format was an incredibly rough time for me, I had no idea what I was doing and kept losing and losing till it got to the point that for every win I'd have about 6 losses. I'd tried all sorts in the early meta, mainly the preliminary core that would eventually become BIG 6. But I hated Xerneas and the dependency I felt the team had on it. Granted when it sets up (easily) it runs rampant, I just didn't believe it to be the thing to win events for myself personally. I eventually settled on one Pokemon deemed shitty by almost everyone I talked to. (Snowflake confirmed)

That Pokemon was:



Oh man do I luurvee this thing. I was drawn by the cool typing being both offensively and defensively strong towards anything not named Xerneas. Granted Xerneas is literally everywhere, but its a fairly one dimensional Poke that's only gonna be doing one thing, which makes it fairly predictable and much easier to shut down than people think.



So how do you check Xerneas enough for Yveltal to thrive? Well old Matt thought Mawile Trick room with Ogre was the play. I was very very  wrong and got roflstomped at Glasgow Regs going  2-5 disgracefully. It was at the coach station on the way back that I had an idea on how to not rage quit the format and it was to try Yveltal again but in a different environment. I was also really bloody ill that night so apologies to Tom (TheSaxlad/noob) for being with me at midnight when you'd rather be in the pub :P


That team was to be used at a Manchester PC the following week. It was:

Yveltal

Groudon

Mawile

Gengar

Kangaskhan

Talonflame

Just by switching the Kyogre to a Groudon the team felt infinitely stronger. It wasn't an insta loss to big 6 with Tailwind, Gengar, Mawile, and Physical Groudon but it still wasn't consistent against it. I managed Top 8 at that PC losing to a stupid Rock Tomb miss against The Haxlad that I built the team with but it didn't bother me super hard, I had gotten my first CP and it was the middle of February. I had another PC the week after that I managed top 4 in with the following change:

Cresselia > Gengar

Something clicked that day, I suddenly understood the format and felt like I could do anything, but a dumb Smeargle got some boosts and shut me right up. But I kept the confidence gain and random understanding of the format and got ready for the next big one.. The Manchester Midseason Showdown



The MSS

Going into this I had thrown out Mawile because its really bad and added a Thundurus because its not a team of mine without Paralysis spam. The team now looked like this:

Kangaskhan

Groudon

Yveltal

Cresselia

Thundurus

Talonflame

I went into this event super nervous since it was my last chance to get a chunk of CP before being forced into a deep nationals run. I was pretty crushed when I lost the first round to a friend in Jonathon Marston.
I was pretty much forced to go all or nothing and not drop a game for the rest of the day. I played a few friends on the way and was forced to batter them aside #nomercy ;)  and managed to go 5-1 5th seed(ofc)
I was over the moon and I had a chunk of cp but I was super thirsty and wanted all of it. I learnt I had to play P3ds in top 8 who had a gravity Kyurem-w team that scared me as a lot of my tourney runs have ended in freezes. Unfortunately the stream recording has been deleted so I can't link it.  I ended up winning this set surprisingly as I had a better match up than I first thought. Top 4 was revenge against Jon and finals I lost to Conan Wild because I didn't have Skill swap on Cresselia x_x I couldn't care less though, I'd gotten a big finish and a chunk of CP  but I knew the team had its issues that needed correcting before Sutton Regionals rolled around.

And with all that useless filler text sorted, I can get onto the main course being the Regional that I somehow did well in :]

Team:

Kangasbabe @ Kangstone
Scrappy
Jolly Nature                            
Fake out                                  
Return                                      
Power Up Punch                    
Sucker Punch


Super Bog standard Kangaskhan happens to be the best Kangaskhan. Able to quickly pressure and deal   big damage easily. Also gets a boosted Sucker from Yveltal's Dark aura. Didn't Opt for Low Kick on the set as I simply didn't care about Dialga or Ferrothorn.




Groudong @ Red Orb
Drought
Jolly Nature
Precipice Blades
Fire Punch
Substitute
Protect

This is a cool set that I rather like, Pblades does big damage to Xerneas post boost and is good as a field clearer if you trust the accuracy. Fire Punch is really strong single target damage boosted further in the Sun and was mainly used to get a KO 100% when Pblades was a bad idea. Also good at chargrilling Ferrothorns who wanna get cheeky. Sub is the 'weird' move I guess. With Jolly you can get a substitute up for free on any Smeargle and it also provides a massive shield against T-room teams as they have to waste a few turns trying to get rid of it burning T-room turns. 9/10 would recommend.



Yveltal @ Blackglasses/Swagshades
Dark Aura
Jolly Nature
Foul Play
Sucker Punch
Tailwind
Protect



Have I mentioned how awesome this thing is? Cus it's really awesome! Being able to 2shot most of the relevant Pokemon in the format bar Xerneas. Yveltal really piles on the pressure especially against T-room teams and double primal where speed control is key, when Yveltal threatens to completely shut down whichever you try you have a big problem. Notably this set lacks Knock off as I wasn't super scared of t-room and the presence of Amoonguss on the same team is enough to assume they wont even bother trying  
(not one player tried) Foul play is a very strong attack being able to 2 shot Groudons regardless of preference to Phys or Special, Sucker punch is really stupid and does wayyyy to much damage, Even Xerneas takes a good 30% in an emergency. Its also really fun to pair this with Kangaskhan and Sucker Punch the format into the floor. Tailwind is a move used to support the rest of the team which is obviously strong..



                                       U watt m8  @ Focus Sash
                                       Prankster
         Timid Nature
         Thunderbolt
         Hidden Power (Ice)
         Thunder Wave
         Protect


If you don't hate this thing there's something wrong with you and if you don't love this thing there's something wrong with you. Its lose lose which is very accurate when it comes to Thundurus. Its incredibly hard to stop it ruining your day in some way. I ran HP ice because I like one shotting Salamence and Landorus which otherwise annoy me greatly. Protect is ran because its commonly targeted by Fake out and a well timed one gives a burst of momentum.




Kevin @ Life Orb
Gale wings
Adamant
Brave Bird
Quick Guard
Tailwind
SWAGGER




Standard Talonflame because its really good. Swagger is really bad though don't try and use it, I never clicked it once but wanted to get some sexy Swagplay going. Never happened never will. 1/10




                      Guss Fring @ Lum Berry
   Regenerator
   Bold Nature
   Spore
   Rage Powder
   Grass Knot
                         Protect

On a side note look at the gen 5 Amoonguss sprite. He know's he's gonna spore the bejeezus outta you.
Anyways.... I added Amoonguss > Cresselia because I felt the speed controls clashed where I to bring T-wave and T-room, especially against big 6. This mon is basically to scare away T-room and to check Manectric Yveltal teams which I really really don't like facing. Lum berry is also good to outcheese those Gravnosis teams with Rage powder spam.


Yeah this probably horrible team got all the way to top 8 going 6-1 before losing to a friend ( Eden ) and his stupid Togekiss in strong wind which I just couldn't get past without massive loss. The 4th move on Talonflame can be taunt to try and shut down Togekiss so that's a likely step forward for the team. Thanks to all my 'Friends' who constantly call me and Yveltal shit. It's been pushing me to keep using it for the strong banter game and I'm actually doing quite well now. A late start in the season means worlds hasn't been attained yet but I'm starting to catch up.Hoping to get there soon! Um, that's it I think. Peace out

Shoutouts to Lucky Shirt!

-Matt Carter

































No comments:

Post a Comment